Immunization (Shot) Requirements
State law requires that all students under age 18 years, pre-kindergarten through grade 12, be immunized against certain diseases unless they are exempt for medical reasons or because of personal beliefs. At the time of registration, the school is required to have proof that your child has received all currently due immunizations.
The district participates in the California Immunization Registry (Northern California Region (CAIR) http://cairweb.org/, a countywide computer system that keeps track of immunizations (shots). See Immunizations box for specific requirements. Check with your pediatrician, family physician or medical clinic to make sure your child is fully immunized. Your child may be excluded from attending school if these requirements are not met.
New Law (SB 277) Effective in 2016
Governor Brown signed Senate Bill (SB) 277 on June 30, 2015. SB 277 changes immunization requirements for children entering child care or school.
Starting January 1, 2016:
- Parents or guardians of students in any school or child-care facility, whether public or private, will no longer be allowed to submit a personal beliefs exemption to a currently-required vaccine.
- Students will no longer be required to have immunizations for entry if they attend:
- A home-based private school or
- An independent study program with no classroom-based instruction.
However, parents or guardians must continue to provide immunization records for these students to their schools, and schools must continue to maintain and report records of immunizations that have been received for these students.
- Students who have an individualized education program (IEP) should continue to receive all necessary services identified in their IEP regardless of their vaccination status.
- Medical and personal beliefs exemptions will be allowed from any new immunization requirement initiated by CDPH for attendance at school or child care.
Children entering kindergarten must have the following immunizations (shots):
5 DTaP (4 doses meet requirement if at least one was given on or after the 4th birthday);
4 Polio (3 doses meet requirement if at least one was given on or after the 4th birthday);
3 Hep B;
2 MMR (first dose on or after 1st birthday)
7th Grade Immunization Requirements:
Children entering 7th grade must have:
4 DTaP (1 more required after the child's 7th birthday);
4 Polio (3 doses meet requirement if at least one was given on or after the 2nd birthday);
2 MMR (1st dose on or after 1st birthday);